Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Copycat Panera Power Chicken Hummus Bowl

I like to tell Aaron that part of my charm is this deep-seated need I have to recreate restaurant food at home.

Now, if I have to inform someone that something is part of my charm, it begs to be asked whether or not it's actually part of my charm if I have to tell him :)

The latest recreation?


Here is Panera's...

Copy cat Panera Power Chicken Hummus Bowl

and here is mine.

Copy cat Panera Power Chicken Hummus Bowl

There are a few differences:
  • I left off the onions
  • I peeled the cucumber and cut it smaller
  • I forgot about the cilantro
  • Panera uses a very practical shallow bowl which makes it easier to eat the salad.  I don't have any of those, but I have my eye out for some!
Here's what you need:
  • 4 ounces of chicken, cooked (I saved some from supper the night before)
  • diced tomato
  • peeled, diced cucumber
  • half of a lemon (I plucked out the visible seeds)
  • 2 tablespoons of hummus (you can choose the flavor)
  • fresh spinach
  • optional red onion and/or cilantro
It's pretty self explanatory, but put a couple of handfuls of spinach on a plate, add the chicken, tomato, and cucumber.  Dollop on some hummus and squeeze the lemon all over the salad, but concentrate some of the lemon on the hummus.

Copy cat Panera Power Chicken Hummus Bowl

The brightness lemon marries well with the earthiness of the hummus to make a really delicious dressing.  I like to toss it all together!

This is a perfect salad for lunch! 

No offense to the mighty PB&J, but I prefer other lunch options.  Using leftover chicken makes this a super easy salad to throw together for lunch; you can have it on the table in 5 minutes or less!  

Also, I think this would travel really well.  The dressing is formed when you squeeze the lemon, so your greens won't get all soggy like they would with a traditional dressing.

And nobody wants soggy greens ;)

Copy cat Panera Power Chicken Hummus Bowl

Panera really knew what they were doing when they made this one!

Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment