Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Doctor Prescribed Crocs...

In case you were wondering, it's a bad idea to wear flip flops for 8 months a year for 5 years.

It's also a bad idea to change your stride all willy nilly when you're running.

I did both of those things.

I wore flip flops for as long as possible when I worked at camp.  Heck, I even got married wearing flip flops.

And, oh, did the flip flops ever betray me.

Additionally, a few summers ago, I decided to start running. 

I'm totally a non-runner, so I did the From Couch to 5K program.  Yes, in the beginning I ran  jogged around our backyard.

You know how there's apparently such a thing as "runner's high?"

I didn't have that.  Ever.

I have friends who say things like, "I feel so alive when I run!  It clears my head and I can think and pray.  Praise the Lord for running!"

I'm like this, "When I run I pretty much want to die.  Or throw up.  And the only thought going through my head is wondering when I can finally stop.  I'm pretty sure God wants me sitting back on that couch."

Anyway, during my last run of the From Couch to 5K program, I decided to lengthen my stride.  It was an Olympic year, so I saw that the Olympic runners had really long strides.  I figured if the Olympic people had long strides, I could have long strides, too.

Note: I am not an Olympian.

Note 2: Lengthening your stride is a big, huge deal.

So, between all the flip flopping and running, I pretty much destroyed my feet.  I have plantar fasciitis and some small heel spurs.

I realize that doesn't actually count as "destroying," but they hurt a lot.

I went to the podiatrist again, and he was SO nice.  

Literally, I almost started crying when he told me that he understands that I'm so busy taking care of everyone else that I forget that it's important to take care of myself.

But, he also told me that I needed to get new tennis shoes.  Mine were a year and a half old. Did you know that you're supposed to get new running shoes every 6 months even if it doesn't look like they're worn out?  Now we all know.

Believe me when I tell you that the last thing in the world I want to spend money on this time of year (or any time, actually) is expensive running shoes for myself.


I can only wear certain types of running shoes due to the insoles I have to wear.  Ugh.

Not only did the doctor tell me that I needed new running shoes, he literally prescribed Crocs.

See...


Here's the thing: I'm not an incredibly fashionable person.  When you pretty much have to wear running shoes at all times, it can cut down on the styles of clothing that are available to you. This is, by no means, a huge deal.  It's just one of those things.

Although I'm not very fashionable, even I know that Crocs aren't that stylish.  Crocs have come out with some cute shoes, but the cute ones don't have the arch support that I need.  I have to wear the crocs whenever I'm not wearing running shoes.

Aaron and I dragged the girls all over looking for Crocs and couldn't find any, so I ended up ordering 2 pair from amazon.com. 

These...


and these.


I kept the first pair and will be sending the second pair back (for free...thanks amazon!).

I'm not going to lie, I didn't have the world's best attitude about the shoe situation.  I really didn't want to spend money on new running shoes.  I really, really didn't want to spend money on Crocs.  I'm also sooooooo tired of my feet hurting.  The whole thing is just really annoying.

Then, I noticed something that helped me find something for which to be thankful.


Look at all of those other supplies I DON'T need!  Gel digital toe pads?  Gel tubes for toes?  I don't even want to know what buttress/metatarsal pads are.  Bunion splints (I may have just gagged thinking about that) and corn pads?  CORN PADS?!?!?!?!?!

Instead of feeling sorry for myself because I have to wear Crocs and spend money on shoes I'd rather not buy, I'm going to be legitimately thankful that I don't need crest pads or horseshoe pads.

I'm also happy that I get to go to physical therapy....also known as spa time.

Now, to be fair, I've never been to an actual spa, but when I go to physical therapy, he uses this ultrasound thing so apply some hydrocortizone cream to the arches of my feet and it's like the world's best foot rub.

Then, he puts tape all over my feet to help support my arches.


They call that the "moccasin."

In addition to the moccasins, spa treatments, and new shoes, the physical therapist gave me some stretches to do.

I'm optimistic that I will someday be done with plantar fasciitis!

But, in the meantime, I'll be thankful I don't need foam toe separators :)

Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1st Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment