Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

All the Things I Didn't Know (The Time I Met Aaron)

Because it's his birthday, I though I'd reflect a little bit on the time Aaron and I met...

Aaron and I met on a clear and cold Saturday morning by a broom ball court.  

We were volunteering at a winter weekend at the camp we ended up working at together.  

I was talking with him and some of his friends from college, and come to find out, he and I had a mutual friend!  Andy, a guy who was a camper at a camp I used to work at, was one of Aaron's residents.  Such a small world.

I saw Aaron interacting with lots of people that weekend.  I saw him interact with campers and his friends from college.  In chapel, there were a lot of overwrought crying girls talking to him.  He handled himself really well and with integrity.

He seemed to love Jesus and really care about people.

Oh, and at the time, he had chin length, curly auburn hair and always wore a backwards White Sox hat. 

He didn't necessarily like the White Sox; he just liked the hat!

Anyway, Aaron told me that I should write Andy a letter and he'd deliver it for me.  

So, I did!

And, 2 weekends later, Aaron and his friends brought Andy to volunteer at camp with them.

I loved those weekends.  And, not because of Aaron (no offense :)).  I was working at a bank at the time...not necessarily loving my life situation.  But, the weekends were full of fun and people and ministry.  I got to stay with my friends, Chris and Shannon and their son, for the weekend...friends who are like family.  I really looked forward to those times.

I hung out with Aaron and Andy the weekend we volunteered together.  And Aaron and I spent a lot of time on that Saturday afternoon with a lonely little girl named Stephanie.



So yeah, I knew some things about Aaron:  he loved Jesus, he cared about people, he was well respected....and he liked to use urban slang, yo!

But there was a lot I didn't know.

I didn't know that we would become best friends.

I didn't know that he'd be my last call of the night.

I didn't know that we'd grow to be in love with each other.

I didn't know that 4 years from that second weekend, I would be giving birth to our first daughter.

I didn't know that the aforementioned daughter would have his curly auburn hair.

I didn't know about all of the times we'd move, and I didn't know that he would become home for me.

I didn't know that he was such a hard worker and such a good thinker.

I didn't know the depth of his commitment to Jesus.

I didn't know that he'd be so brave and willing to walk in faith (ministry ain't for the faint of heart, yo!).

I didn't know that we'd have this talkative, silly house full of girls.  

I didn't know the fierceness by which he would want to protect and provide for us.

I didn't know how intentional he'd be in spending his time and in structuring our life.

I didn't know what it would be like to be so well loved by him.

There was so much I didn't know about Aaron, and I couldn't have begun to even imagine our life now!

I can't wait to see what the future brings!

So, Happy Birthday to that guy I met at camp!  I'm beyond glad and grateful that I got to become your wife.


No comments:

Post a Comment