Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Mommy's Jesus Catechism

One of my desires for the summer is to help the girls memorize Scripture.

I also want to be intentional about teaching them certain things about Jesus that are based in Scripture.  

I stumbled upon New City Catechism (from Tim Keller and Sam Shammas) and really liked the question and answer format.  I realize that this isn't unique to catechisms, but it's not something I know a lot about.  

While I really appreciate the thoroughness of the children's version of New City Catechism, it's still too much for the girls.  I think Leah might be able to handle it, but she'd really have to work at it.  I'd like summer to be a little bit more laid back.

So, I made up my own :)


Just so you know, this is not comprehensive, but it's a good start!

I have 8 weeks of questions, answers, and verses.  We started this week!  

I start off by writing the question, answer, and verse on our chalkboard in the kitchen.


I ask the girls the question and they say the answer. 

I had Leah make up actions to the verse which helps her be more invested in the process.  We repeat it a couple of times a day.

I'd love to have a craft or a coloring page to go along with each verse and maybe I'll find something like that.  But, I'm learning that I don't have to go ALL OUT when I do something.

I have to realize that it is better to have our girls start hiding God's word in their hearts now than to wait until I have an activity/craft/song/perfect thing to go with it.  I can't be paralyzed by unrealistic, perfectionist ideas.

Edited:  My mom (I think she is VBS personified) came up with some for me!  Check out the first one here!

Here are all 8 weeks!  (Oh, I abridge the verses to make them easier to memorize, especially for Maggie...Gracie kind of tags along :))

Week 1:
Question:  How do I know God loves me?
Answer:  He sent Jesus!
Verse:  I John 4:9 (Romans 5:8 would be a good choice, too.  We memorized that last summer and Seeds Family Worship has the verse as a song)

Week 2:
Question:  Why did God send Jesus?
Answer:  To save us!
Verse:  I John 4:14

The next 4 weeks cover some of Jesus' I AM statements and are more responsive in nature:

Week 3:
Jesus is...the Light of the World

Week 4:
Jesus is...the Bread of Life

Week 5:
Jesus is...the Good Shepherd

Week 6:
Jesus is...the Only Way

The last 2 weeks focus on grace:

Week 7:
Question:  How am I saved"
Answer: By grace through faith.

Week 8:
Question:  Can I earn salvation?
Answer:  No, it's a gift.

I know that the girls being able to memorize a verse or an answer to a question doesn't mean that Jesus has their heart.  Obviously, obviously, obviously it's our deepest desire and prayer that that would be the case.  But, I do believe that God's Word doesn't return empty...it accomplishes the purpose He has.  

So, I'll write it on our chalkboard, and listen to it in the kitchen, and put it on our walls, and talk about it in the car.  

We'll plant all the seeds we can and trust God to make them grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment