Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

We Have a Bird!!! (well, kind of...)

For starters, you need to know that I have a thing about birds.

And it's not a good thing.

We had a pet bird for a bit while I was growing up (until it flew away...on April Fool's Day.  Fare thee well, Gil), and I was paranoid that it would get stuck in my hair and poop all over me.  

I'm not a fan of misplaced poop.

Being in an aviary would be personal torture.  I can't even begin to describe how horrible it would be for me.  

Don't even get me started on how I feel when there are birds flying around inside Walmart.

I mean, I can't even buy a coffee cup with a bird silhouette on a branch on it (even though I think they're cute), because I'd feel like a hypocrite.  

But, regardless of all of that, a mama bird built her nest right outside our kitchen window, and I'm slightly obsessed.

I just heard some loud chirping and went to go check on her.

I wish I was making that up, but I'm not.

I feel like my love of mamas and babies supersedes my utter loathing of birds.

Anyway, we saw her building her nest in the gutter and I was afraid it would get washed away.

But, when Aaron checked on it today, we found that she knew what she was doing!


There's some gutter overlap-ment, so she's all good, unless there's a psychotic rainstorm.  

The girls wanted to check it out (poor Leah was still at school).


They were so excited!


I mean, between climbing a ladder with your dad and a bird's nest, what's not to be excited about :)

I even took a turn...by myself, of course :)


Aren't they so beautiful and perfect?

There she is, guarding her babies.


Then, she took a little break.


Either that or she was just surveying the surrounds for any potential danger.

I like to think that she did the equivalence of going out for coffee :)

Man, I feel like I live in a nature preserve!

I must admit, though, that I am slightly afraid to go out the back garage door which is pretty much right underneath her nest.

I don't want her to think I'm a threat and try to peck at me.

I looked up some information about robin egg hatching, so hopefully I'll have an update for you in 12-14 days.

Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?
Matthew 6:26

No comments:

Post a Comment