Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

A week ago, I posted the recipe for one of my new favorite treats, Oatmeal Chocolate Bars.

My friend, Jill, mentioned on facebook that it is very similar to one of their favorite breakfasts and messaged the recipe to me.

Friends, Jill does not lead us astray...especially not in the recipe department!  

I love that this is a hand-held, non-messy breakfast.  




This is a big deal to me because of Sundays.

Sundays?

Yes, Sundays.

I could wake up at 5:00 in the morning on Sunday and still end up rushing out of the house to church...without eating breakfast.

Then I get hungry and end up running to McDonald's when my part of Sunday School is over.  I feel like that's not the best thing, right!?!

Needless to say, I'm going to be sure I have these in the house for Sunday morning...and a lot of other times :)

Not to mention, they are deeeeeeeeeeeelicious!

Once again, just regular ingredients:



1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups oatmeal (Quick Oats)
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips

You know the drill :)  In a small bowl, combine your drys...oatmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt.  Stir it together to distribute the leavening.

With an electric (handheld mixer or Kitchen Aid) mixer in a separate bigger bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together.  Add the corn syrup, vanilla, and eggs.  Mix until well combined, about 2 minutes.  Stir in the dry ingredients (by hand) in 2 batches.  Stir in the first half and then add the chocolate chips in with the second half.  

Press the mixture into a greased 9x13 inch pan and bake at 350 for 28-30 minutes.  

Enjoy...please enjoy, because these are delicious!



The next time I make these (and believe me, there will be a next time), I might try some different things.  

I might substitute applesauce for half of the butter.  might.

I'll use molasses for the dark corn syrup, which is what the recipe called for, but I didn't have any.

I will try white whole wheat flour instead of regular, all purpose flour.

If I think to buy them, I'll add some dried cherries.  I love the sweet tart flavor and chewy texture of dried cherries.  Yum!

Jill said to use whatever kind of flour you want and to add chocolate chips to taste.  If you feel like tasting 2 cups of chocolate chips, there is no shame.  Taste your heart out!

Pretty please make these...at the very least they will make your Sunday morning smoother and make you less likely to be irritated with your kids since you have food in your tummy.

Oh, and accountability buddies, I haven't En Gedi-ed any of our room yet.  We were gone all morning, and I was cooking up a storm in the afternoon.  But, I'm getting my En Gedi on this afternoon.  

Fare thee well, flannel sheets!

Recipe Source: Jill (she printed the recipe from allrecipes.com years ago, but the recipe isn't on there any more).

No comments:

Post a Comment