Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Healthy, but not TOO Healthy, Granola Bars

Sometimes I feel like all I do is pin granola bar recipes.

I don't think I have a very good record with homemade granola bars, because I always pick the really healthy ones.  I put in whole wheat flour instead of regular flour, applesauce for butter (hit or miss), too many ground flax seeds...

Then, all the money I saved making my own granola bars is wasted because nobody wants to eat them.  

Plus, I don't feel awesome making gross granola bars :)

Then, I found these!  (I also want to try these sometime soon, pretty much the same recipe, but not with peanut butter.)

I had all of these ingredients on hand, too, so that's always a bonus in my book :)


You need:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups quick oats
1 cup Rice Krispies
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (but, who are we kidding, I used more than that!)

Lightly spray and 8x8 inch pan with nonstick spray and rub it around with your hand.

Put the butter, brown sugar, honey, and peanut butter in a large sauce pan.  Heat over medium low.  Stir with a large spoon until it begins to bubble.

Once it bubbles, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.  Then stir in the quick oats and Rice Krispies until well coated.

Press the mixture into your prepared pan.  I used the bottom of a measuring cup to really pack it down.

Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips over the top.  I just sprinkled them right out of the bag until I though it looked good :)

Gently press the chocolate chips into the bars.  

Let cool and then cut into 12-16 bars.

Don't they look yummy!


I should probably go make another batch :)


I won't be making another batch today, though, because I'll be busy pouring fake stuffed animal pee into the potty chair.  (Don't worry, I'll update you on Gracie's progress tomorrow :))

But if you aren't potty training anyone today, you should head right into the kitchen and spend the maybe 10 minutes it takes to whip up a batch of these!

Enjoy!

Looking for some other great snacks?  Check these out!


I'm linking up here:  


12 comments:

  1. Those look good! I like that there's nothing weird in them too. Thanks for the link up so I could find you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! I hopped over to your blog and saw that you have my sister-in-law's blog listed under your Bloggie Friends (justin and laurie story). It's such a small internet world, isn't it :)

      Delete
  2. I like healthy/not so healthy. And they DO look yummy!! I'm so glad you linked up! And best of luck on the stuffed animal pee... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're doing okay with the stuffed animal pee :) Gracie's napping with a pull up on right now. I'm the most relaxed I've been all day!

      Delete
  3. oh my goodness. looks yummy and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have been looking for a good granola bar recipe. i too tried making mine healthy, then realized i have tween and teens, and a few calories won't hurt them!

    these look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Plus, the peanut butter has protein to balance out all those carbs, right :)

      Delete
  5. What a great idea! I'm going to have to try these. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your "Not too healthy" comment is funny! If you take away the peanut butter and substitute the chocolate chips with raisins, it'll be a healthy snack again. But, there's nothing wrong if you want to indulge on something sinful once in a while, right? But, I read somewhere that granola isn't as healthy as everyone thinks it is. I guess I have to check on this first. Anyways, I will definitely make your granola bars soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suppose it's healthy in that you can pronounce all of the ingredients :)

    I feel like a lot of granola cereal in the store is surprisingly full of fat. I have a granola recipe that I'll post later that only uses applesauce instead of oil or butter. It does have plenty of sugar, though!

    I hope you enjoy them when you make them!

    ReplyDelete